||Last Updated: Jun 28, 2008 - 12:29:23 AM
Things to do about your mobile phone before you arrive in Madeira:
- If you do not have absolute surety contact your mobile phone operator to find out if your mobile phone account is enabled for international roaming. Do this well in advance of your departure date, as it can take up to 14 days to resolve or prepare for roaming if your account is not prepared for roaming. You may have difficulty doing it from abroad - except for instances where such services can be activated via the internet. Other than that it is virtually impossible to execute your international roaming service from outside the UK.
- Check that your existing handset will work in the country you are traveling to; this may not be the case, particularly outside Europe. For Madeira and Portugal it is quite likely any mobile phone you bring along should work as the systems used by both the UK and the Portuguese mobile phone operators are both GSM based.
- Check with your UK mobile phone network provider how much it costs for international roaming services. Charges can be a lot higher than, and very different to, those for calls in the UK. For example, while roaming you will pay to receive calls and listen to voicemail. Sending text messages may be much cheaper, but you can be charged twice per message (once by your operator and once by the overseas operator) to convey messages to and from home. Rates can vary according to your network and the country you are visiting.
- Information on charges may be available from your network's web site, customer services or literature.
- Confirm the current charges just before you leave as some charges can change at short notice (although other charges are more stable).
© Copyright 2007 by The Madeira Island Web Site
Top of Page